Thursday, April 12, 2012

Week 13 (4/9-4/15)

            This week we read more from Goldberg that was assigned online.  This was a good change of pace from the books that we have been reading for the last month or so.  Wreckage of Reason is funny to me, but it was starting to get a little weird the last couple of weeks.  I can only take so much abstract writing before it starts to drive me a little crazy.  Goldberg is totally different then these stories, and is also different then Bird by Bird is.  I enjoyed the reading that we had to do for this week, it was a good way to shake things up a little.

            The first section in this weeks reading by Goldberg is called, "Use Lonliness", and I thought that it was a really cool piece of writing that I totally agree with.  She talks about how rough it is to be a writer on a daily basis, which is totally true.  It is really hard to push through writing block and everyday problems that you run into when you are writing.  It is totally on yourself to try and push through problems that you have, you cant rely on others to help you through them.  Writing for a living, being a writer seems to be really depressing.  It is a job that never really ends, because you can always change or correct something to make it better.

            I also enjoyed the "Claim Your Writing" section of Goldbergs writing.  In my opinion, I think that Goldberg was trying to express that even though not all of the writing that you have done over time might not be that good, you still have to live up to what you wrote.  No one else is to blame or to be credited for what you put down on paper.  You should be proud of what you have created, and what you have spent a ton of time to express.  Not many people in this world these days own up to what they have done, and this is a weakness in society right now.  This is part of being a writer, you are going to write things for other peoples enjoyment and when you do something great, you should be credited for it, and when you write things that are not good, you should own up to it and stand by it.

            Lamott also came across to me as super depressing.  I actually enjoy writing everyday, and when I read what Lamott has to say, I feel like eventually I am going to become a crazy drug addict if I continue to write.  This kind of freaks me out a little.  When I get stuck when I'm writing, I find a productive way to work my way through it.  It might make me a little anxious or hyper trying to work on it, but I always get through it without using drugs or pulling my hair out.  I am going to search and try to find a writier that doesn't want to kill themselves or hasn't been drivin crazy from writing for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment